Instagram is a great social tool to allow you to show off your best self. Through exciting selfies and photos, you can let your friends and family know what you’re up to and how you’re doing. Researchers at the University of Toronto have actually come up with an algorithm that shows what styles and accessories get the most likes and comments on Instagram. According to the U of T researchers, a combination of background, accessories, formal and casual wear creates the ideal Instragram photo.
If you’re not sure where to start to get that perfect pic, try one of these seven accessories and stand out on Instagram.
- Bold statement necklaces: Make a statement with this bold accessory. When it comes to necklaces, everything from vintage baubles to costume-style jewelry is fair game. Gold, silver, rose gold—whatever the colour of your statement necklace, the bigger the better.
- Oversized bag: Like the statement necklace you’re going to wear, your bag should also be big and bold. Oversized bags get noticed on Instagram even if they’re not of the designer variety.
- Red lips: Lipstick is an accessory that many people take for granted, but it can actually make or break your photo. Red lips are classic and will take any outfit to the next level. Find the shade of red that best works for your complexion and give your lips a kiss of rouge to enhance your next Instagram pic.
- Sunglasses: Ask any Instagram fashionista the accessory they rely on the most and they’ll tell you it’s sunglasses. Sunnies are versatile, and unless you are taking your pics outside in the middle of the night, you should wear a pair to complement your outfit.
- Anything pastel: For some reason, pastel accessories, no matter what they are, turn Instagram aflutter. Pastels are soft on the eyes and easy to see, which may contribute to why they’re beloved.
- High boots: Knee- and calf-high boots are an accessory that the Instagram community can’t seem to get enough of. Try pairing high boots with a short dress or skirt and you’ll really get people praising your pics.
- Seasonal accessories: Dress for the season and get more likes. In the winter, try a scarf and glove combo with your outfit. Or try a fur neckwarmer to complement your ensemble. In the summer, ditch the scarf and gloves and opt for sunglasses, which you’ll already be wearing (see #5).
You can mix and match any of the above accessories, but don’t go overboard. Keep it to 2-3; otherwise you won’t stand out on Instagram—you’ll fade into the background.